The attention of All Progressives Congress, APC, Akwa Ibom State has been drawn to the article in circulation, captioned
Tribunal warns Nsima Ekere against delay tactics, written by one Mr. Wale Odunsi on June 16, 2019, published in News Express, an online medium with details thus:
”The Governorship Elections Tribunal sitting in Uyo has warned the All Progressives Congress, APC, and its candidate, Nsima Ekere, against delay tactics.
The tribunal led by justice A. M. Yakubu, gave the warning in reaction to a request by Ekere for more time to respond to applications made by respondents.
This is as counsel to Ekere, Jibrin Okutepa, SAN, at the session at the Magistrate Court Complex in Uyo, prayed the court for an extension of the pre-trial period to enable them prepare their responses”.
Contrary to the above misinformation, APC Akwa Ibom State Chapter accordingly, wishes to state categorically as follows:
1. That at no time did the Chairman of the Tribunal, Justice A. M. Yakubu gave such ruling nor warning as stated above.
2. That the request made by counsel to Ekere, Jibrin Okutepa, SAN, for the extension of time was necessitated firstly by the fact that the INEC has been constantly roadblocking free access to the inspection of elections materials which in a way did not allow the APC legal team to gather their facts on time for proper documentation.
3. Secondly, the APC legal team needed more time to respond to the application brought before the Tribunal by Samuel Udoh(Esq.), who sought to be joined in the suit as respondent.
4. That the ruling by Justice A. M. Yakubu was indeed a direct response to the gravity of the matters which even Assam Assam SAN, for the 1st respondent, Uko Udom SAN, for the 2nd respondent and Offiong Offiong SAN, for the 3rd respondent agreed with the application of the petitioners and was graciously granted one week extension.
5. APC Akwa Ibom State observes that it is so disheartening and disappointing that the ruling of the tribunal has been heavily twisted, distorted and embellished with strange lurid interpretations by that publication.
6. APC Akwa Ibom State Chapter therefore condemns in totality the importation of yellow journalism to misinform the public and contaminate the already existing spirit of comradeship which both the petitioners’ legal team and that of the respondents’ legal team had the privilege of enjoying as a result of high level of maturity exhibited by the Tribunal Members.
7. On the final note, APC raises order of concern and caution against those whose delight in propagation of this kind of sensational falsehood is just to enrich their pockets to refrain from it henceforth.
Based on the above listed explanations ergo, APC Akwa Ibom State advises the general public to disregard such contemptible publication.
God bless APC.
State Publicity Secretary,
APC, Akwa Ibom State.