Download http://bigtheme.net/joomla Free Templates Joomla! 3
Home / Education / Osinbajo commends NUC for introducing 3 courses to make education more responsive

Osinbajo commends NUC for introducing 3 courses to make education more responsive

Vice President, Professor Yemi  Osinbajo has commended the National University Commission  (NUC) for the introduction of three new courses in Nigeria Universities.
He said the development was part of efforts to make university education more responsive to the needs of  the society.
Osinbajo mentioned this at the unveiling of the new curriculum on Monday in Abuja, while adding that this was to connect with the 21st-century realities.
Professor Osinbajo, who was represented by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, in his opening remark said that the introduction of the Core Curriculum and Minimum Standard to university education also addresses local issues, meet international standards and uplifts scholarship in our universities and it on its way to meet the Guiness book of record.
He commended the NUC for the unbundling of such disciplines as Agriculture and the emergence of three courses namely Allied Health Sciences, Architecture and Communication as well as the media services, the three new courses in Nigerian Universities.
“This document has truly taken cognizance of the need to provide greater academic autonomy to universities about the development of some percentage of course content.
“I commend the commission of this decision to share the minimum credit unit required for graduation in the Nigerian university in the ratio of 70 to 30 per cent. This will further create institutional peculiarity,” he said.
Prof Osinbajo further applauded the foresight of other disciplines like agriculture and the emergence of three new disciplines in the Nigerian university system such as allied health sciences, architecture and communication as well as media studies.
The Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission, Prof Abubakar Rasheed said in keeping with its mandate of making university education in Nigeria more responsive to the needs of society, NUC commenced the journey to restructure the Benchmark Minimum Academic Standards BMAS in 2018, introducing in its place, the Core Curriculum and Minimum Academic Standards (CCMAS), to re-examine existing and introduce new disciplines and programmes in the Nigerian University System.
He said the new CCMAS is a product of sustained stakeholder interactions over two years.
‘’The composition of each panel took into consideration the triple helix model, as a unique feature.  This involved a blend of academic experts, academies, the government represented by NUC, professional bodies and of course, the private sector represented by the Nigerian Economic Summit Group NESG.
“To enrich the draft documents, copies of each discipline were forwarded to all critical stakeholders including the relevant academic units in Nigerian Universities, the private sector, professional bodies and academies for their input.
These inputs along with the curriculum of programmed obtained from some foreign and renowned universities served as major working materials for the various panels constituted for that purpose”, he stated.
According to Professor Rasheed, ‘‘the new curriculum unbundled the Bachelor of Agriculture, Bachelor of Science in Mass Communication and the Bachelor of Architecture Programmed while establishing some emerging specializations in these fields as obtained globally.
 The Allied Health Sciences was also carved out as a new discipline from the existing Basic Medical Sciences discipline’’, he added.
Professor Rasheed explained that the CCMAS documents are uniquely structured to provide for 70% of core courses for each programme while allowing universities to utilize the remaining 30% for other innovative courses in their particular areas of focus.
“Disciplines  such as Agriculture and the emergence of three courses namely Allied Health Sciences, Architecture and Communication as well as the media services, the three new courses in Nigerian Universities. The development was part of an effort to make university education more responsive to the needs of society”, he said.

Check Also

Improving Nutritional Status of infant and pregnant women in Bassa Community, Abuja

Bukola Afeni Four-month-old Yusuf Abdullahi was diagnosed with malnourishment during a   weekly postnatal visit …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *