Lead Sponsor: Hon. (Barr) Aniefiok Dennis
1. Rt. Hon. Udo Kierian Akpan
2. Rt. Hon. Mark Esset
3. Hon. Udeme Otong
4. Rt. Hon. David Lawrence
5. Hon. Ifiok Udoh
6. Rt. Hon. Uduak Ududoh
7. Hon. (Barr) Esse Umoh
8. Hon (Barr) Otobong Bob
9. Hon. (Barr) Victor Ekwere
10. Rt. Hon. Nse Essien
11. Hon. Effiong Johnson
12. Hon. Charity Ido
13. Hon. Asuquo Nana Udoh.
(Brought pursuant to Order 3 Rules 1 & 2 of the Standing Orders of Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, 6thEdition)
Recalls that this Honourable House had on the 28th day of January 2020 through a motion, moved to curtail the resurgence of Lassa Fever in the State.
Impressed by the swift response of His Excellency Governor Udom Emmanuel, the state recorded no case of the dreaded Lassa Fever disease.
Further recall that this Honourable House acknowledged the deadly coronavirus globally and its imperative to take proactive steps towards protecting our state from the spread of these infectious diseases.
Aware of a high-powered Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Committee comprising of 80 members, set up by the State Ministry of Health during the recent outbreak of Lassa fever has been expanded to frontally confront the dreaded diseases.
Concerned that according to World Health Organization (WHO), the deadly Coronavirus also known as COVID-19 has infected more than 92,217 people globally and caused 3,303 deaths
Concerned further about the rapid spread of COVID-19 across five (5) continents and over fifty-six (56) countries with the recent being our country Nigeria.
Observed that the developmental strides recorded by the current administration has hitherto opened up our State Airspace, road network and upcoming seaport. Thereby making Akwa Ibom State more accessible nationally and internationally.
Worried that as COVID-19 berths in Nigeria, its inflight importation into the state or through any other means is imminent, considering the recent increase in travel traffic into our state.
Acknowledge that with the recently confirmed case of Coronavirus in Nigeria, Akwa Ibom State must further intensify its infectious diseases preventive measures, hence the need for this motion.
Let it be moved by this Honourable House:
1. (a) That the State Ministry of Health should strengthen, and if need be, increase its infectious disease control and prevention committee in order to boast their function.
(b) Immediately deploy personnel, special protective equipment and other necessary facilities including hand sanitizers and infrared thermometers to our hospitals, airport, public offices, schools and other entry routes into the State.
(c) That the isolation centre at Ikot Ekpene be made to be fully functional by Akwa Ibom State Government.
2. That the State Ministry of Information, Ethical and Attitudinal Reorientation Commission (EARCOM) should aggressively embark on extensive and intensive awareness, sensitization and enlightenment campaigns across every nook and cranny of the State on the coronavirus epidemic.
3. That the State Ministry of transport in conjunction with Ministry of health should ensure that operators of motor parks and public transport systems are provided with hand sanitizers and other protective equipment.
Mr. Speaker, My Honourable Colleagues, we so move.
Hon. (Barr) Aniefiok Dennis